Makaton is a language programme using signs and symbols to help people communicate. It is designed to support spoken language and the signs and symbols are used with speech in spoken word order.
People with learning disabilities or communication difficulties may struggle to make themselves understood - and to understand others. This can provoke intense frustration, challenging behaviour and isolation, and act as a barrier to achievement.
Makaton takes away that frustration and enables individuals to connect with other people and the world around them. This opens up all kinds of possibilities.
If you are unsure if you need British Sign Language or Makaton please feel free to contact us and we’ll talk through what you need
- Our Makaton tutor is registered, licensed and trained by the Makaton Charity. She is an experienced speech and language therapist which enables her to relate the Makaton signs and symbols learnt during the workshop to a particular adult or child's needs. In addition, general strategies are discussed to promote effective communication.
- As part of your training, you will receive your own Study Pack including:
- Makaton Symbols and Signs
- Participant’s Manual
- Certificate of Attendance
Natalie, Support Worker at Creative Support: "Very good, great foundations. Best training so far in this job. Can't believe how much I learnt in such a short space of time - excellent."
What can we offer you?
- Full or 2 day training courses plus shorter bite sized sessions.
Who is it for?
- Anyone who may meet someone who uses/needs Makaton signs/symbols to communicate.
Feedback from 1 day course at Saracens Sports Foundation "Very good, well taught and interesting. Explained very clearly and was enjoyable and fun. I really enjoyed it and found it easy to grasp, looking forward to using it. I am determined to remember and use as much as I can."
What do you need?
- You decide what and where your requirements are and we will suggest the content and activities to suit the participants. See below for our most popular course outline.
The course was so useful. I have recognised that one of our service users, who is non verbal, actually does use some Makaton to communicate. I will be able to communicate with him much better now and will share my knowledge with other staff. Celine, Support Worker at Sunnyridge after the 1 day course.
Makaton - most popular course outline (PDF)
Kate from Unique Kidz & Co: 'Very good course, information was delivered in an excellent manner. Good use of slides, visual aids and signs. Great group involvement. Overall very impressed with both the tutor and the course.'
- To check availability, book training or to speak to a real person contact us
- To find out more about us delivering training at your organisation, go to In House Courses
- Go to Case Studies for information on work already undertaken and testimonials